How to order food in English at a restaurant?
iPad 翻转选小费 — The Dreaded Tip Screen
店员把 iPad/平板翻转过来让你选小费比例,那个社交压力最大的时刻 This scene includes 17 dialogue turns across 2 conversation paths, helping you practice with 收银员.
Dialogue Preview · 对话预览
Coffee Counter Tip Screen · 咖啡店柜台小费
basicAll right, that'll be $6.50. Card or cash?
好的,一共 6.50 美元。刷卡还是现金?
Card, please.
刷卡。
Go ahead and tap or insert your card. And then it'll ask you a question on the screen.
请感应或插入你的卡。然后屏幕上会有一个问题。
💡 这里的 'a question on the screen' 就是委婉地说小费选项要出现了。店员通常会把屏幕转向你,然后礼貌地看向别处。
OK... So, um, it's showing 18%, 20%, 25%, and custom. What do people usually do?
好的……屏幕显示 18%、20%、25%,和自定义。一般人怎么选?
💡 Counter service 小费是可选的(和正式就餐不同)。选 No Tip 没人会说什么,但很多人选 15-18%。正式餐厅 18-20% 是标准。
Oh, honestly, whatever you're comfortable with! No pressure at all.
哦,说实话,选你舒服的就行!完全不用有压力。
I'll go with 18%. There you go.
我选 18% 吧。好了。
Awesome, thank you! Your drink will be ready at the end of the bar.
太好了,谢谢!你的饮料在吧台那边等着取。
Great, thanks!
好的,谢谢!
Tipping Guide Scenarios · 各种场景的小费指南
intermediateHey, so I just moved here from China. I'm still figuring out the tipping thing. Like, do I tip when I pick up takeout?
嘿,我刚从中国搬过来。还在搞清楚小费的事。比如取外卖要给小费吗?
Oh, good question! For takeout pickup, it's kind of optional. Some people tip a dollar or two, some don't. Nobody really judges you. But if it's delivery, you should definitely tip — usually $3 to $5, or 15-20%.
好问题!取外卖的小费是可选的。有人给一两美元,有人不给。没人会judge你。但如果是送外卖,一定要给——通常 3 到 5 美元,或 15-20%。
What about when I get a haircut? My barber charges $25.
理发呢?我的理发师收 25 美元。
Yeah, definitely tip your barber. 15-20% is standard, so on $25 that'd be like $4 to $5. If they do a really good job, bump it up. Barbers remember good tippers and they'll take extra care of you.
理发师一定要给小费。15-20% 是标准,25 美元的话大概 4 到 5 美元。如果做得特别好,多给一点。理发师会记住大方的客人,下次会更用心。
💡 理发师的小费很重要。如果你是常客,给好小费意味着更好的服务。很多人给 20% 或直接凑整。
OK, so what about Uber? I always see the tip option pop up after the ride.
那 Uber 呢?每次坐完车都会弹出小费选项。
So Uber — honestly, a lot of people don't tip, but drivers really appreciate it. A couple bucks for a regular ride is nice. If someone helps with your bags or it's late at night, I'd tip more. Same with Lyft.
Uber 嘛——说实话,很多人不给。但司机真的很感激。普通行程给几块钱就不错。如果司机帮你搬行李或者是深夜,我会多给一些。Lyft 也一样。
This is really helpful. I was so confused the first time the iPad screen popped up in my face. I just stared at it.
太有用了。第一次 iPad 屏幕怼到我脸上的时候我完全懵了。就呆呆地盯着看。
Ha! Everyone feels that way, even Americans. The tip screen culture is kind of new and honestly, a lot of people find it awkward. Just remember: sit-down restaurants 18-20%, counter service optional, and services like haircuts 15-20%. You'll be fine!
哈!大家都这样,美国人也觉得尴尬。小费屏幕文化其实很新,很多人都觉得别扭。记住:正式餐厅 18-20%,柜台服务可选,理发之类的服务 15-20%。你不会错的!
Got it — restaurants 20%, counter optional, services 15-20%. Thanks, that makes it way less stressful!
明白了——餐厅 20%,柜台可选,服务类 15-20%。谢谢,这样轻松多了!
Key Phrases · 关键短语
card or cash
刷卡还是现金
tap or insert
感应或插入
a question on the screen
屏幕上的问题
whatever you're comfortable with
选你舒服的
no pressure
不用有压力
end of the bar
吧台末端
kind of optional
可选的
nobody judges you
没人会说什么
delivery
外卖配送
bump it up
多给一点
remember good tippers
记住大方的客人
a couple bucks
几块钱
Cultural Notes · 文化注释
- •这里的 'a question on the screen' 就是委婉地说小费选项要出现了。店员通常会把屏幕转向你,然后礼貌地看向别处。
- •Counter service 小费是可选的(和正式就餐不同)。选 No Tip 没人会说什么,但很多人选 15-18%。正式餐厅 18-20% 是标准。
- •理发师的小费很重要。如果你是常客,给好小费意味着更好的服务。很多人给 20% 或直接凑整。
How to practice this scene · 如何练习
Listen · 听一遍
Play the full dialogue to understand the context and flow.
Repeat · 逐句跟读
Mimic pronunciation, intonation, and rhythm phrase by phrase.
Role-play · 角色扮演
Practice as the traveler while listening to the other speaker.
FAQ · 常见问题
What do you say when "the dreaded tip screen" in English?
What will staff/locals say to you during "the dreaded tip screen"?
How many English phrases are in this "The Dreaded Tip Screen" scene?
Are there cultural tips for "the dreaded tip screen" in English-speaking countries?
Related Restaurant Scenes · 相关场景
View all →想要听到真人发音?立即开始练习
Want to hear native pronunciation? Start practicing now
免费注册,沉浸式练习这个场景的每一句对话
Sign up free for immersive practice with every phrase in this scene