How to make small talk in English?
职场社交 — Workplace Socializing
在办公室的非正式社交场景,包括茶水间闲聊、午餐邀请和下班后聚会 This scene includes 19 dialogue turns across 2 conversation paths, helping you practice with 同事.
Dialogue Preview · 对话预览
Office Small Talk · 办公室闲聊
basicMorning, Wang! How was your weekend? Did you end up doing anything fun?
早啊,王!周末怎么样?有做什么好玩的吗?
Morning! It was great, actually. I went hiking at Bear Mountain — the fall colors were amazing. How about you?
早!其实挺好的。我去了熊山徒步——秋天的颜色太美了。你呢?
💡 分享周末活动时加一个细节(如秋色很美)能让对话更有趣,但不要说太久。
Oh nice! I've been meaning to go there. I just stayed home and binge-watched a new show. Super lazy weekend but I needed it.
不错!我一直想去那里。我就待在家追了一部新剧。超懒的周末但我需要。
Sometimes you just need a lazy weekend! What show were you watching?
有时候就需要懒一下!你在看什么剧?
It's called 'Severance' on Apple TV. Have you seen it? It's a thriller about a company that separates work memories from personal ones. So creepy but so good.
叫《人生切割术》,在 Apple TV 上。你看过吗?是一部关于公司把工作记忆和个人记忆分开的悬疑剧。很诡异但超好看。
I haven't, but that sounds fascinating! I'll add it to my list. Oh, did you see the email about the team meeting this afternoon?
没看过,听着好吸引人!我加到清单里。对了,你看到今天下午团队会议的邮件了吗?
💡 从个人话题自然过渡到工作话题是很正常的。不需要特别分割。
Yeah, I saw it. Sounds like they're announcing the new project assignments. Fingers crossed we're on the same team! Alright, I need to grab my coffee before the morning rush. Catch you later!
看了。好像是要公布新项目分组。希望我们分在一组!行了,趁早上人还少我去拿咖啡。回头见!
Fingers crossed! See you at the meeting. Enjoy your coffee!
一起祈祷!会议见。享受你的咖啡!
Lunch Invitation and After-Work Drinks · 午餐邀请和下班后聚会
intermediateHey Wang, a bunch of us are going to that new Thai place for lunch. Want to come? We're leaving in about 10 minutes.
嘿王,我们几个人中午要去那家新开的泰国餐厅。要来吗?大概10分钟后出发。
I'd love to! Just let me finish this email real quick. I'll meet you in the lobby.
好啊!让我先把这封邮件发完。我在大堂等你们。
Sounds good! Oh, heads up — they don't take reservations and it gets packed around noon, so we should get there a bit early.
好!提醒一下——他们不接受预订,中午12点会很挤,所以我们早点到比较好。
Got it, I'll hurry. Is it within walking distance?
了解,我快点。走路能到吗?
Yeah, it's just around the corner — like a 5-minute walk. Oh, and the pad thai is supposed to be really good. Someone from accounting raved about it.
能,就在拐角处——走路大概5分钟。对了,听说泰式炒河粉特别好吃。会计部有人赞不绝口。
Nice, I love pad thai! Hey, I also heard some people are going out for drinks after work on Friday. Do you know the details?
不错,我爱泰式炒河粉!对了,听说周五有人下班后要去喝一杯。你知道具体安排吗?
Yeah, it's a thing we do once a month — TGIF drinks. We usually go to O'Malley's, the Irish pub two blocks from here. Super chill, no pressure. You should totally come!
对,我们每月一次——周五庆祝活动。通常去 O'Malley's,离这两个街区的爱尔兰酒吧。很轻松,没有压力。你一定要来!
That sounds great! Is the boss coming too, or is it just us?
听起来不错!老板也来吗?还是就我们?
💡 了解老板是否参加有助于判断氛围是否轻松。有老板在可能需要注意言行。
Karen usually stops by for one drink and then heads out. She's pretty cool about it — doesn't make it weird. After she leaves, that's when the real fun starts!
Karen 通常过来喝一杯就走。她这方面挺酷的——不会让人觉得尴尬。她走了之后才是真正好玩的时候!
Ha, good to know! I'm in for Friday. Should I RSVP to someone, or just show up?
哈哈,了解了!周五我参加。需要跟谁确认,还是直接去?
Just show up! It's super informal. We usually gather in the lobby around 5:30 and walk over together. I'll remind you on Friday morning. Now let's go — I'm starving!
直接来就行!很随意的。我们通常5:30在大堂集合一起走。周五上午我提醒你。走吧——我饿死了!
Key Phrases · 关键短语
how was your weekend
周末怎么样
end up doing
最终做了什么
end up
在这句话里表示:最终做了(某事),常用于问计划是否实现
I've been meaning to
我一直想(做某事)
binge-watched
追剧/一口气看完
I needed it
我需要这样的休息
have you seen it
你看过吗
thriller
悬疑剧
creepy but good
诡异但好看
fingers crossed
祈祷/希望
on the same team
在同一组
morning rush
早上高峰
Cultural Notes · 文化注释
- •分享周末活动时加一个细节(如秋色很美)能让对话更有趣,但不要说太久。
- •从个人话题自然过渡到工作话题是很正常的。不需要特别分割。
- •了解老板是否参加有助于判断氛围是否轻松。有老板在可能需要注意言行。
How to practice this scene · 如何练习
Listen · 听一遍
Play the full dialogue to understand the context and flow.
Repeat · 逐句跟读
Mimic pronunciation, intonation, and rhythm phrase by phrase.
Role-play · 角色扮演
Practice as the traveler while listening to the other speaker.
FAQ · 常见问题
What do you say when "workplace socializing" in English?
What will staff/locals say to you during "workplace socializing"?
How many English phrases are in this "Workplace Socializing" scene?
Are there cultural tips for "workplace socializing" in English-speaking countries?
Related Social Scenes · 相关场景
View all →想要听到真人发音?立即开始练习
Want to hear native pronunciation? Start practicing now
免费注册,沉浸式练习这个场景的每一句对话
Sign up free for immersive practice with every phrase in this scene