How to make small talk in English?
写感谢卡 — Writing a Thank You Note
为收到的帮助或礼物撰写和递交手写感谢卡 This scene includes 12 dialogue turns across 2 conversation paths, helping you practice with 收到感谢卡的朋友.
Dialogue Preview · 对话预览
Delivering a Handwritten Thank You Card · 递交手写感谢卡
basicHey Sarah, I wanted to give you this. It's a thank-you card — I wrote it by hand because you really went above and beyond helping me move last weekend.
嘿 Sarah,我想给你这个。这是一张感谢卡——我手写的,因为上周末你帮我搬家真的是超出了我的期望。
💡 在美国,手写感谢卡(thank-you note)是一种非常受重视的礼仪。收到礼物、参加晚宴、接受帮助后写感谢卡被认为很有教养。手写比电子邮件更用心。
Oh Wei, you didn't have to do that! That's so sweet. A handwritten card? Nobody does that anymore — this means so much to me!
Wei,你不用这样的!太贴心了。手写的卡片?现在没人这么做了——这对我意义太大了!
Of course I had to! In Chinese culture, when someone helps you that much, you make sure they know how grateful you are. Besides, you gave up your whole Saturday for me!
当然要的!在中国文化里,别人帮了你这么多,你一定要让对方知道你有多感激。而且,你把整个周六都给了我!
💡 提到文化背景让感谢更真诚,也是文化交流的好机会。美国人通常会对跨文化礼仪表示欣赏和好奇。
That's really beautiful. I love learning about Chinese customs. And honestly, moving is the worst — I was happy to help. Your new apartment is awesome, by the way!
这真的很美。我喜欢了解中国的习俗。说实话,搬家太痛苦了——我很乐意帮忙。顺便说,你的新公寓太棒了!
Thanks! I still have some boxes to unpack, but it's coming together. Actually, I was thinking of having a small housewarming dinner next weekend — you're the first person I'm inviting!
谢谢!还有些箱子没拆,但慢慢成形了。其实,我在想下周末办一个小型乔迁晚餐——你是我邀请的第一个人!
💡 Housewarming 乔迁聚会在美国很常见。请帮你搬家的朋友来是理所当然的。通常不需要太正式,简单的晚餐或酒水就好。
I would LOVE that! Count me in. Should I bring anything? And Wei — seriously, this card is going on my fridge. It made my whole day.
我太想去了!算我一个。需要带什么吗?还有 Wei——说真的,这张卡片要贴到我的冰箱上。它让我一整天都很开心。
Composing a Thank You Note · 为感谢卡措辞
intermediateHey Lisa, I need your help. My professor wrote me an amazing recommendation letter and I want to write a proper thank-you card. But I'm not sure how to phrase it in English — can you help me?
嘿 Lisa,我需要你的帮助。我的教授给我写了一封很棒的推荐信,我想写一张得体的感谢卡。但我不确定英文怎么措辞——你能帮我吗?
💡 在美国学术圈,教授写推荐信后送一张手写感谢卡是基本礼仪。很多教授会在办公室保留学生的感谢卡。这也有助于维持长期的学术关系。
Of course! That's really thoughtful of you — most students just send a quick email. Okay, start with something personal like 'Dear Professor Chen, I wanted to take a moment to express my sincere gratitude for...'
当然!你真的很体贴——大多数学生只是发一封简短的邮件。好的,开头用一些个人化的措辞,比如'亲爱的陈教授,我想花一点时间表达我最诚挚的感激...'
That's great! Should I mention how the recommendation letter helped me specifically? Like, I got an interview at my dream company because of it.
太好了!我应该提到推荐信具体怎么帮了我吗?比如,因为它我拿到了梦想公司的面试。
Absolutely! Professors LOVE hearing that their efforts made a difference. Write something like: 'Thanks to your thoughtful recommendation, I was invited to interview at Google. Your support has been instrumental in my career journey.'
当然!教授们非常喜欢听到他们的努力产生了影响。写类似:'多亏了您的推荐信,我收到了 Google 的面试邀请。您的支持在我的职业道路上起到了关键作用。'
Perfect. And should I close with something like 'With heartfelt gratitude' or 'Sincerely'? What sounds better for a professor?
完美。结尾用'带着衷心的感激'还是'此致'好?对教授来说哪个听起来更好?
For a professor, I'd go with 'With deepest gratitude' or 'With sincere appreciation.' It's warmer than just 'Sincerely' but still professional. And add a P.S. — something casual like 'P.S. I'll bring you some Chinese tea next time I visit campus!' That personal touch is everything.
对教授的话,我建议用 'With deepest gratitude' 或 'With sincere appreciation'。比单纯的 'Sincerely' 更温暖但仍然专业。再加一个 P.S.——轻松一点的,比如 'P.S. 下次回学校我给您带中国茶!'那种个人化的小细节是点睛之笔。
Key Phrases · 关键短语
you didn't have to
你不用这样的
nobody does that anymore
现在没人这么做了
moving is the worst
搬家太痛苦了
I was happy to help
我很乐意帮忙
going on my fridge
要贴到冰箱上
made my whole day
让我一整天都开心
express my sincere gratitude
表达我最诚挚的感激
take a moment to
花一点时间来
instrumental in
在...中起关键作用
made a difference
产生了影响
with deepest gratitude
怀着最深的感激
personal touch
个人化的小细节/人情味
Cultural Notes · 文化注释
- •在美国,手写感谢卡(thank-you note)是一种非常受重视的礼仪。收到礼物、参加晚宴、接受帮助后写感谢卡被认为很有教养。手写比电子邮件更用心。
- •提到文化背景让感谢更真诚,也是文化交流的好机会。美国人通常会对跨文化礼仪表示欣赏和好奇。
- •Housewarming 乔迁聚会在美国很常见。请帮你搬家的朋友来是理所当然的。通常不需要太正式,简单的晚餐或酒水就好。
- •在美国学术圈,教授写推荐信后送一张手写感谢卡是基本礼仪。很多教授会在办公室保留学生的感谢卡。这也有助于维持长期的学术关系。
How to practice this scene · 如何练习
Listen · 听一遍
Play the full dialogue to understand the context and flow.
Repeat · 逐句跟读
Mimic pronunciation, intonation, and rhythm phrase by phrase.
Role-play · 角色扮演
Practice as the traveler while listening to the other speaker.
FAQ · 常见问题
What do you say when "writing a thank you note" in English?
What will staff/locals say to you during "writing a thank you note"?
How many English phrases are in this "Writing a Thank You Note" scene?
Are there cultural tips for "writing a thank you note" in English-speaking countries?
Related Social Scenes · 相关场景
View all →想要听到真人发音?立即开始练习
Want to hear native pronunciation? Start practicing now
免费注册,沉浸式练习这个场景的每一句对话
Sign up free for immersive practice with every phrase in this scene