How to make small talk in English?
百家饭聚餐 — Potluck Dinner
参加每人带一道菜的百家饭聚餐 This scene includes 12 dialogue turns across 2 conversation paths, helping you practice with 聚餐主人.
Dialogue Preview · 对话预览
Attending a Potluck · 参加百家饭聚餐
basicHi Lisa! I brought mapo tofu — it's a popular Sichuan dish. I hope it's not too spicy for everyone!
嗨 Lisa!我带了麻婆豆腐——是一道很受欢迎的四川菜。希望不会太辣!
💡 Potluck 带自己的拿手菜很受欢迎。带中国菜通常会成为焦点,但要注意不要太辣,可以准备温和版。
Oh wow, it smells amazing! I love Chinese food. Just put it on the table with the other dishes. We've got everything from lasagna to sushi tonight — it's going to be a feast!
哇,闻起来太香了!我爱中国菜。放到桌上和其他菜一起就好。今晚从意面千层面到寿司都有——会是一场盛宴!
Wow, everything looks delicious! Can I ask who made the pasta salad? I'd love to get the recipe.
哇,什么都看起来好好吃!能问一下谁做的意面沙拉吗?我想要食谱。
That's Sarah's famous pasta salad! She brings it every time. Sarah, come meet Wei — he loves your pasta salad! By the way, we do this every month. You're welcome to come anytime.
那是 Sarah 的招牌意面沙拉!她每次都带。Sarah,来认识一下 Wei——他超爱你的意面沙拉!顺便说,我们每月聚一次。随时欢迎你来。
I'd love that! Should I sign up for a dish each time, or is it more casual?
太好了!每次需要提前报名带什么菜,还是随意的?
We have a shared Google Doc where people sign up so we don't end up with ten desserts and no main courses! I'll add you. Just pick a category — appetizer, main, side, or dessert — and bring whatever you want.
我们有个共享的 Google 文档,大家在上面报名,这样就不会出现十个甜品没有主菜的情况!我把你加进去。选一个类别——开胃菜、主菜、配菜或甜品——然后带你想带的。
Cross-Cultural Food Chat · 跨文化美食交流
intermediateThis mapo tofu is incredible! What's that tingly feeling on my tongue? I've never had anything quite like it.
这麻婆豆腐太好吃了!我舌头上那种麻麻的感觉是什么?我从没尝过这样的。
That's Sichuan peppercorn! In Chinese we call it "ma" — it's a numbing spice, different from chili heat. The combination of numbing and spicy is what makes Sichuan cuisine unique.
那是花椒!中文叫"麻"——是一种麻味的调料,跟辣椒的辣不同。麻和辣的组合是四川菜的独特之处。
💡 很多美国人第一次体验花椒的麻味会很新奇。这是一个很好的文化交流话题。
That's so cool! I had no idea there was a whole different kind of spice beyond just hot. Can you teach me how to make this sometime?
太有意思了!我完全不知道除了辣之外还有这么一种不同的调味。你能教我做吗?
Of course! I'd love to do a cooking exchange. You teach me an American dish, I'll teach you a Chinese one. Deal?
当然!我很想做个烹饪交换。你教我一道美国菜,我教你一道中国菜。成交?
Deal! I make a mean chili — it's my secret recipe. We can do it at my place next Saturday. This is going to be so fun. I'll invite a few others too if that's cool?
成交!我做的辣椒酱超棒——是我的秘方。下周六在我家吧。肯定超好玩。我也邀请几个人,可以吗?
Absolutely, the more the merrier! I'll make kung pao chicken — that's a crowd-pleaser. Text me your address and I'll be there!
当然,人越多越热闹!我做宫保鸡丁——大家都爱吃。发你家地址给我,我到时候去!
Key Phrases · 关键短语
it smells amazing
闻起来太香了
a feast
盛宴
famous pasta salad
招牌意面沙拉
you're welcome to come anytime
随时欢迎你来
shared Google Doc
共享文档
appetizer, main, side, or dessert
开胃菜、主菜、配菜或甜品
tingly feeling
麻麻的感觉
never had anything quite like it
从没尝过这样的
a whole different kind of
完全不同的一种
teach me how to make this
教我做这个
a mean chili
超棒的辣椒酱(mean 在口语中表示厉害)
if that's cool
可以吗/你觉得行吗
Cultural Notes · 文化注释
- •Potluck 带自己的拿手菜很受欢迎。带中国菜通常会成为焦点,但要注意不要太辣,可以准备温和版。
- •很多美国人第一次体验花椒的麻味会很新奇。这是一个很好的文化交流话题。
How to practice this scene · 如何练习
Listen · 听一遍
Play the full dialogue to understand the context and flow.
Repeat · 逐句跟读
Mimic pronunciation, intonation, and rhythm phrase by phrase.
Role-play · 角色扮演
Practice as the traveler while listening to the other speaker.
FAQ · 常见问题
What do you say when "potluck dinner" in English?
What will staff/locals say to you during "potluck dinner"?
How many English phrases are in this "Potluck Dinner" scene?
Are there cultural tips for "potluck dinner" in English-speaking countries?
Related Social Scenes · 相关场景
View all →想要听到真人发音?立即开始练习
Want to hear native pronunciation? Start practicing now
免费注册,沉浸式练习这个场景的每一句对话
Sign up free for immersive practice with every phrase in this scene