Skip to content

How to make small talk in English?

迟到道歉Apologizing for Being Late

因为迟到向对方道歉 This scene includes 16 dialogue turns across 2 conversation paths, helping you practice with 朋友.

Social · 社交16 phrasesBasic 基础Intermediate 进阶

Dialogue Preview · 对话预览

Simple Late Apology · 简单迟到道歉

basic
You

I'm so sorry I'm late! The traffic was terrible. Have you been waiting long?

太对不起我迟到了!交通太堵了。你等很久了吗?

No worries! I just got here a few minutes ago myself. Don't sweat it.

没关系!我自己也就几分钟前到。别在意。

You

Thanks for being so understanding. I should have left earlier.

谢谢你这么理解。我应该早点出发的。

Honestly, it's fine. I was just scrolling through my phone. No big deal at all.

真的没事。我就刷了会手机。完全不是什么大事。

You

Well, to make it up to you, coffee's on me today!

好吧,为了补偿你,今天咖啡我请!

💡 'make it up to you' 表示用行动补偿对方,请客是很自然的补偿方式。

Oh, you don't have to do that! But I won't say no to a free latte, haha.

你不用这样!但我不会拒绝一杯免费拿铁的,哈哈。

You

Done deal! What are you having? My treat.

就这么定了!你要什么?我请。

I'll have an oat milk latte. Thanks, Wei! See, being late has its perks for me!

我要一杯燕麦奶拿铁。谢谢,Wei!看,你迟到对我还有好处呢!

Major Late Apology · 严重迟到道歉

intermediate
You

I am so, so sorry. I know I'm really late. I got completely lost trying to find this place.

我真的真的非常抱歉。我知道我迟到很久了。我找这个地方完全迷路了。

I was starting to worry! I tried calling you but it went straight to voicemail.

我都开始担心了!我试着给你打电话但直接转语音信箱了。

You

My phone died, which made everything worse. I couldn't even use GPS. I feel terrible.

我手机没电了,这让一切更糟。我连 GPS 都用不了。我感觉太糟糕了。

Well, you're here now, that's what matters. Just sit down and relax. Are you okay?

好了,你到了,这才是重要的。坐下来放松一下。你还好吗?

You

I'm fine, just flustered. Thank you for waiting. I really appreciate your patience.

我没事,就是慌了。谢谢你等我。真的很感谢你的耐心。

💡 'flustered' 表示又急又慌的状态,比 'nervous' 更准确描述迟到的心情。

Of course! That's what friends are for. Now let's order — I'm starving!

当然!朋友就是用来干这个的。我们点菜吧——我饿坏了!

You

Absolutely. And please, dinner is completely on me tonight. No arguments.

当然。今晚晚餐完全我请。不许争。

If you insist! But next time, just share your location with me and I can guide you here.

如果你坚持的话!但下次,你直接分享定位给我,我引导你过来。

Key Phrases · 关键短语

don't sweat it

别在意/别放在心上

no big deal

没什么大不了的

scrolling through my phone

刷手机

I won't say no to

我不会拒绝

has its perks

有好处

starting to worry

开始担心

went straight to voicemail

直接转语音信箱

that's what matters

这才是重要的

that's what friends are for

朋友就是用来干这个的

I'm starving

我饿坏了

share your location

分享你的定位

Cultural Notes · 文化注释

  • 'make it up to you' 表示用行动补偿对方,请客是很自然的补偿方式。
  • 'flustered' 表示又急又慌的状态,比 'nervous' 更准确描述迟到的心情。

How to practice this scene · 如何练习

1

Listen · 听一遍

Play the full dialogue to understand the context and flow.

2

Repeat · 逐句跟读

Mimic pronunciation, intonation, and rhythm phrase by phrase.

3

Role-play · 角色扮演

Practice as the traveler while listening to the other speaker.

FAQ · 常见问题

What do you say when "apologizing for being late" in English?
You can start with: "I'm so sorry I'm late! The traffic was terrible. Have you been waiting long?" (太对不起我迟到了!交通太堵了。你等很久了吗?).
What will staff/locals say to you during "apologizing for being late"?
You may hear: "No worries! I just got here a few minutes ago myself. Don't sweat it." (没关系!我自己也就几分钟前到。别在意。).
How many English phrases are in this "Apologizing for Being Late" scene?
This scene contains 16 dialogue turns across 2 conversation flows, covering simple late apology, major late apology.
Are there cultural tips for "apologizing for being late" in English-speaking countries?
'make it up to you' 表示用行动补偿对方,请客是很自然的补偿方式。 'flustered' 表示又急又慌的状态,比 'nervous' 更准确描述迟到的心情。

Related Social Scenes · 相关场景

View all →

想要听到真人发音?立即开始练习

Want to hear native pronunciation? Start practicing now

免费注册,沉浸式练习这个场景的每一句对话
Sign up free for immersive practice with every phrase in this scene

免费开始 / Start Free